NCSU CVM does not currently offer a residency in veterinary dentistry at this time, although CVM provides Dentistry Services at the Veterinary Health Complex.
|Books||Journals and Periodicals|
|Library Tips||More Info|
SUGGESTED READING MATERIAL for CANDIDATES AND TRAINEES
The following list is provided as suggested reading material. No attempt is made to restrict examination questions to the material in these references. The examination reflects the current state of knowledge in veterinary dentistry rather than material from a particular group of references. Much of veterinary dental knowledge has been derived from human dentistry. This is reflected in the suggested reading list and will also be reflected in the examination itself.
- Anusavice KJ. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials. 11th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003.
- Baum L, Phillips RW, Lind MR. Textbook of Operative Dentistry, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1995.
- Baker GJ, Easley J: Equine Dentistry. 2ed, Philadelphia; WB Saunders Co., 2005. [also available as an online book]
- Capello V, Gracis M, Lennox A: Rabbit and Rodent Dentistry, WB Saunders Co., 2005.
- Cohen S, Hargreaves KM. Pathways of the Pulp. 9th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2006. Also have 10th ed--Cohen's pathways of the pulp.
- DeForge DH, Colmery BH: Atlas of Veterinary Dental Radiology Ames, IA; Iowa State University Press, 2000.
- DuPont GA, DeBowes LJ: Atlas of Dental Radiography in Dogs and Cats. St. Louis, Mo; Saunders Elsevier, 2009. [also available as online book]
- Evans HE. Miller’s Anatomy of the Dog. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1993.
- Fossum TW Ed. Small Animal Surgery. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2007.
- Gaughan EM, DeBowes RM (guest editors). Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice 14(2). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1998.
- Harvey CE. Veterinary Dentistry. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1985. Section 3 only - Oral Diseases in Other Species – Ruminants, Pigs, Laboratory Animals, Captive Wild Animals.
- Harvey CE, Emily PP. Small Animal Dentistry. St. Louis: Mosby, 1993.
- Harvey CE (guest editor). Feline Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 22(6). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1992.
- Holmstrom SE (guest editor). Canine Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 28(5). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1998.
- Holmstrom SE: Veterinary Dentistry for the Technician and Office Staff. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co. 2000.
- Holmstrom SE (guest editor). Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 35(7). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2005.
- Holmstrom SE, Frost P, Eisner ER. Veterinary Dental Techniques. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2004.
- Mulligan TW, Aller MS, Williams CA. Atlas of Canine & Feline Dental Radiography, Trenton: Veterinary Learning Systems, 1998.
- Newman MG, Takei HH, Carranza FA, Klokkevold PR: Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2006.
- Peterson LJ, Ellis III E, Hupp JR, Tucker MR. Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 5th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2008.
- Powers, JM. Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials. 12th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby Elsevier, 2006.
- Proffit WR, Fields HW. Contemporary Orthodontics. 4th ed. St. Louis : Mosby-Year Book, 2007.
- Regezi JA, Sciubba J. Oral Pathology - Clinical-Pathologic Correlations. 5th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2008.
- Schroeder HE. Oral Structural Biology. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 1991.
- Slatter D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003.
- Ten Cate AR. Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function. 7th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2008.
- Tranquilli WJ et al Eds. Lumb & Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. 4th ed. Baltimore : Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Tutt C, Deeprose J, Crossley DA, eds. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Dentistry. 3rd ed. Quedgeley: British Small Animal Veterinary Association, 2007.
- Verstraete FJM. Self-Assessment Color Review of Veterinary Dentistry. Manson Publishing, London & Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1999.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral Radiology - Principles and Interpretation. 6th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2009.
- Wiggs RB, Lobprise HB. Veterinary Dentistry Principles & Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1997.
- Wolf HF, Rateitschak KH, Rateitschak EM, Hassell TM. Color Atlas of Dental Medicine - Periodontology. 3rd ed. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 2005.
- Journal of Veterinary Dentistry: Vol 7: No. 1 (Jan. 1990) to present.
- Dental Abstracts. Elsevier Science International. (Last five years). No subscription. [Suggest searching PubMed Dental Subset and limiting to last five years and various types of high quality or veterinary studies instead]
- Dental Clinics of North America. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co. (Last five years) No subscription. Read abstracts online, then request free interlibrary loan of individual articles through TripSaver.
- Year Book of Dentistry®, St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book. (Last five years) No subscription; request free interlibrary loan of individual articles through TripSaver.
Other suggested journals with valuable dental articles in them include:
- Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian
- Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry
- Veterinary Surgery
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Search the catalog for veterinary dentistry resources available at NCSU Libraries.