NCSU CVM does not have a veterinary microbiology residency program, but NCSU offers academic coursework through the NCSU Department of Microbiology, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences.
|Review Texts||Library Tips||More Info|
[ACVM wording] There are many excellent and useful textbooks available. Pay particular attention to the most recent editions of the listed examples. The figures, diagrams and photographs in texts are particularly useful in preparing for the subspecialty (Part II) examinations. The following are examples of some textbooks that will be helpful. The list is not all-inclusive, nor is it necessary to study all texts:
- Veterinary Microbiology and Microbial Diseases, 2002, Quinn et al.
- Essentials of Veterinary Microbiology, 5th ed., 1995, Carter et al. [NB: Sixth edition (2004) is Essentials of veterinary bacteriology and mycology]
- Diagnostic Procedures in Veterinary Bacteriology and Mycology, 5th ed., 1990, Carter and Cole.
- Immunology, 6th ed., 2001, Roitt et al. [NB: 7th ed. 2006 (Ed. Male)]
- Veterinary Immunology: An Introduction, 8th ed., 2009, Tizard and Kersey.
- Basic and Clinical Immunology, 2nd ed. 2009, Peakman et al.
- Veterinary Virology, 3rd ed., 1999, Murphy et al.
- Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 3rd ed., 2006, Greene.
- Hsiung's Diagnostic Virology: As Illustrated by Light and Electron Microscopy, 4th ed., 1994, Fong et al.
- Pathogenesis of Bacterial Infections in Animals, 3rd ed., 2004, Gyles and Thoen.
- Virulence Mechanisms of Bacterial Pathogens, 3rd ed., 2000, Roth et al. [4th ed. 2007]
- Microbial Diseases: A Veterinarian's Guide to Laboratory Diagnosis, 1993, Carter and Chengappa.
- Veterinary Microbiology, 2nd ed, 2004, Hirsh.
- Advances in Veterinary Virology, 1990, Edwards.
- Veterinary Mycology Laboratory Manual, 1998, Hungerford et al.
- Clinical Veterinary Microbiology, 1994, Quinn et al.
- ASM Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 9th ed., 2007, Murray et al.
- Medically Important Fungi: A Guide to Identification, 4th ed., 2002, Larone.
- Bacterial Pathogenesis: A Molecular Approach, 2nd ed., 2002, Salyers and Whitt.
- Mims' Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease, 5th ed., 2001, Mims et al.
- Sourcebook of Bacterial Protein Toxins, 2nd ed., 1999, Alouf and Freer. [3rd ed. title is Comprehensive sourcebook of bacterial protein toxins (2006)]
Read current scientific literature. Read thoroughly and critically all journals you feel to be pertinent. This is a formidable, but not impossible task. Place greater emphasis on refereed journals. Figures and diagrams in journals are particularly useful for the subspecialty (Part II) examination. [NB: No list of journals was provided by ACVM--here is a list of all NCSU Libraries' journal titles containing the word "microbiology"]
Search the catalog for additional microbiology resources available at NCSU Libraries.