NCSU Libraries has handheld and automobile GPS navigation units available for checkout to NCSU students, faculty, and staff.
Potential uses for the handheld Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and Garmin eTrex Summit HC units include collecting field data, geocaching, route navigation, orienteering, and many other applications. With these units, you can keep track of where you are, including your elevation, find your way to a specified location, and determine your direction and speed.
Automotive GPS units have a touch screen interface designed for ease of use. Just enter your destination and the Garmin StreetPilot c550 will show you the way with 2D or 3D maps and spoken turn-by-turn directions. In the event of a traffic alert or missed turn, the unit will recalculate your route automatically.
- GPS units can be checked out at the D.H. Hill Library Circulation Desk and the four branch library circulation desks.
- NCSU faculty, students, and staff can borrow GPS units for 14 days. Persons needing to borrow a unit for a longer period for research purposes should contact Tech Lending.
- Persons checking out a GPS are fully responsible for the unit(s) and accessories during the checkout period. A loan agreement must be completed accepting responsibility for any losses or damage.
- Information on the features, capabilities, and use of the handheld Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx can be found online.
- An Instructional DVD for use of the handheld GPSMAP 60CSx is available for viewing in the Learning Commons.
- Software for transferring data to and from the handheld GPSMAP 60CSx unit is discussed here.
- The stated accuracy of the GPS units is < 10 meters (33 feet) 95% of the time. When WAAS enabled (recommended), the accuracy is 3-5 meters (10-16 feet) 95% of the time. To WAAS enable the unit, use the Page button to go to the Main Menu. Then select Setup -> System -> WAAS/EGNOS -> Enabled.
- While in North America, the recommended "Position Format" or coordinate system setting is hddd.ddddd° and Map Datum should be set to NAD 83 or WGS 84. To check these settings, use the Page button to go to the Main Menu. Then select Setup -> Units.
eTrex Summit HC
- Information on the features, capabilities, and use of the handheld Garmin eTrex Summit HC can be found here.