Home: Decennial Pop & Housing Censuses
Reports by Decade
Decennial Population and Housing Censuses Guide
1850 Census Reports
Questionnaire, instructions, and table headers
* Questionnaire and Instructions to Marshals and
Assistants - from Measuring America (Sept. 2002)
* Table Finding Guide - from Seventh Census
of the United States, 1850 (I8.5:1)
* Table headers - from Seventh Census of
the United States, 1850 (I8.5:1)
- NCSU Libraries Guide to Census Data Resources - Provides links to online and other electronic data sources.
- US Census Bureau 1850 Documents as PDFs
Seventh Census of the United States: 1850
Bureau PDF file
U.S. Documents C3.14:850 (reclassed from
* GEOGRAPHIES: Nation, states, Territories, Counties; Nation-wide
tables of all Counties, Districts, and Parishes; and of all Places
* CONTENTS: The topics covered by the 1850 census increased
significantly over those in previous censuses.
* A table finding guide (Index to all of the subjects treated of in the
state tables (p. vii) is included for the first time.
* Data, usually at the county level, is presented in fourteen topical
tables for each state.
- I. Population by counties--Classification of ages and
- II. Population by subdivisions of counties
- III. Nativities of the population
- IV. Births, marriages, deaths, dwellings, and
- V. Progress of population from 1790 to 1850
- VI. Deaf and dumb, blind, insane, and idiotic
- VII. Colleges, academies, schools, &c
- VIII. Attending school during the year as returned by
- IX. Adults in the State who cannot read and write
- X. Professions, occupations, and trades of the male
- XI. Agriculture, farms and implements, stock, products,
home manufactures, &c
- XII. Newspapers and periodicals
- XIII. Libraries other than private
- XIV. Churches, church property, &c
* See the LINK HEREtable headers to identify statistics that include
age ranges of persons.
* The 1850 census is an important one. This volume abstracts
previous census legislation from 1790 to 1850, introduces new questions for
social statistics, for occupations, and includes data on immigration, the
weather, and Indian population by tribe for 1789, 1825, and 1853.
[Compendium] Statistical View of the United States, based upon the
several official returns, from the earliest period, and embracing a compendium
of the census of 1850
Bureau PDF file
U.S. Documents C3.14:850/rep 1990 v. 4 (reclassed from
* GEOGRAPHIES: States, Territories, Counties; Nation-wide table of
Cities, Towns, Townships, Hundreds, &c
* California state census of 1852 is included.
* QUESTIONS: Subject matter is first organized in five categories
with national and state data:
- I. Territory
- II. Population
- figures for White, Free Colored, Slave,
- records Families and dwellings; Sex; Age;
Births, Marriages and Deaths; Deaf and Dumb, Blind, Insane, &c.; Occupations;
- III. Moral and Social Condition
- IV. Industry
- Agriculture, Manufactures, Commerce,
- V. Property, Revenue, Taxation, etc.
* VI. contains Statistical Detail of Cities, Towns, and Counties
[Abstract] Seventh Census. Report of the Superintendent of the
Bureau PDF files
U.S. Documents C3.14:850/abstract (reclassed from
* Narrative text supplemented with tables.
* Topics: Population, House accommodations, Mortality, Origin (nativity),
Deaf mutes, Blind, Insane, Education, Pauperism, Crime, Religion, Real and
personal estate, Agriculture, Railroads, Telegraphs, Cost of work
Librarian Contact Information