Food Composition and Nutrition Tables
Finding Journal Articles
Print Indexes and Abstracts
U.S. Government Information and U.S. Patents
Nutrition Information on the Internet
Internet Gateways and General Guides
Organizations and Nutrition Departments
Research Grants and Projects
Other Databases and Trade Catalogs
Full Text Resources
Nutrition: Reference Sources
Dictionaries, handbooks, and encyclopedias provide basic definitions, synonyms, factual information or an overview of the field,
often with bibliographic citations to sources offering more detailed information.
- The Directory of Food and Nutrition Information: for Professionals and Consumers. Edited by Frank, Robyn C., and Holly Berry Irving. 2nd ed. 1992.
D. H. Hill Ref TX353 .D56 1992
- Food and Nutrition Information Guide. Szilard, Paula. 1987.
D. H. Hill Ref TX357 .S97 1987
- Information Sources in Agriculture and Food Science. Lilley, G. P. 1981.
D. H. Hill Ref S494.5.I47 I53 1981 Natural Resources S494.5.I47 I53 1981
- The Literature of Animal Science and Health. Olsen, Wallace C. 1993.
D. H. Hill Ref SF22.5 .L58 1993 Vet Med Ref SF22.5 .L58 1993
- Encyclopedia of Agricultural Science. Arntzen, Charles J., and Ellen M. Ritter. 1994. 4 v.
D. H. Hill Ref S411 .E713 1994 Vet Med Ref S411 .E713 1994
- Encyclopaedia of Food science, Food Technology, and Nutrition.
Edited by Macrae, R., R.K. Robinson, and M.J. Sadler. 1993. 8 v.
D. H. Hill Ref TX349 .E47 1993
- Foods & Nutrition Encyclopedia. Ensminger, Audrey H. ... [et al.]. 2nd ed. 1994. 2 v.
D. H. Hill Ref TX349 .F575 1994 Second copy in D. H. Hill bookstacks.
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology (4 volumes)
D. H. Hill Ref TP368.2 .E62 2000
- CRC Handbook of Microbiology 9 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QR 6 .C2 1977
- Food Safety Information Handbook. Roberts, Cynthia A. 2001.
D. H. Hill Ref TX531 .R57 2001
- Food Safety Sourcebook: Basic Consumer Health Information... Edited by Matthews, Dawn D. 1999.
D. H. Hill Ref TX531 .F5685 1999
For students and consumers, this handbook provides an overview of food safety issues and regulations, a directory of organizations,
and other resources.
- Food Science Sourcebook. Ockerman, Herbert W. 2nd ed. 1991. 2 v.
D. H. Hill Ref TX349 .O3 1991
Part 1 is a dictionary. Part 2 contains tabular and general information that "broadens the base of Part 1 with factual
- Handbook of Food Additives. Compiled by Michael and Irene Ash. 2nd ed. 2002.
D. H. Hill Ref TX553 .A3 A84 2002
- Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used. 17th ed. 1998.
D. H. Hill Ref TX551 .B64 1998
The main table provides values for 30 nutrients in about 8,000 foods. Supplementary tables provide information on additional
food components, such as amino acids, caffeine, and selenium content.
- Food Composition and Nutrition Tables. Souci, S.W., W. Fachmann, H. Kraut. 6th ed. 2000.
D. H. Hill Ref TX551 .S733 2000
Organized by food type (e.g., fish), this volume contains a detailed table for each food item. In addition to the usual
nutrient listings, values such as percent waste and the amounts of fatty acids and biologically active compounds are provided.
- Calories and Carbohydrates. Kraus, Barbara. 9th rev. ed. 1991.
D. H. Hill Ref TX551 .K745 1991
"A dictionary listing of over 8,500 brand names and basic foods with their calorie and carbohydrate counts."
- The Corinne T. Netzer Encyclopedia of Food Values. Netzer, Corinne T. 1992.
D. H. Hill Ref TX551 .N42 1992
The main table lists calories, protein, carbohydrates, total and saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, and fiber content for
each food. Separate tables at the back of the book list vitamin and mineral content.
Librarian Contact Information