[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]
UA 110.015 Guide to the North Carolina State University, College of Design, School of Architecture Records, 1948-1978, undated
This collection is arranged in three series: General Records, Instructional Materials, and Urban Design Program.
Try experimental container filtering.
This series includes materials from John Loss's term as Program Director of the Department of Architecture. These files include documents related to John Tector's service in the department; agendas, notes, and other supporting documents for faculty meetings; and memoranda.
[Box 1, Folder 1] John Tector documents, 1975-1978
[Box 1, Folder 2] Faculty Meetings, 1975-1976, undated
[Box 1, Folder 3] Faculty Meetings, 1977
[Box 1, Folder 4] Faculty Meetings, 1978
This series consists of assignments for Department of Architecture classes, arranged by course number. Some of the instructors whose design problems appear here are Horacio Caminos, Eduardo Catalano, Henry Kamphoefner, and George Matsumoto.
[Box 2, Folder 1] Architecture 101 and 102; Design 121, 1958-1962, undated
[Box 2, Folder 2] Architecture 201, 1963
[Box 2, Folder 3] Architecture 301, 1949-1969
[Box 2, Folder 4] Architecture 302, 1950-1966
[Box 2, Folder 5] Architecture 303 and Architecture 351, 352, 353, and 354, 1948-1954, undated
[Box 2, Folder 6] Architecture 401, 1949-1966, undated
[Box 2, Folder 7] Architecture 402, 1950-1966, undated
[Box 2, Folder 8] Architecture 403 and 431, 1950-1965, undated
[Box 2, Folder 9] Architecture 501, 1952-1968, undated
[Box 2, Folder 10] Architecture 502, 512, and 531, 1953-1966, undated
This series consists of materials created and collected by the Urban Design Program within the School of Design. These files include general Department of Architecture documents; a faculty grant proposal for an Urban Landscape Design project; correspondence, memoranda, and supporting documents pertaining to projects and functions of the Urban Design Program; and Urban Design curriculum information and instructional materials. This series also contains correspondence, proposals, promotional materials, reports, and supporting documents related to the UNC-NCSU Joint Committee on Urban Design for the years 1968 to 1972.
[Box 3, Folder 1] Department of Architecture Correspondence and Memoranda, 1966-1971, undated
[Box 3, Folder 2] Faculty Research Project 00510, 1973-1974
[Box 3, Folder 3] UNC-NCSU Joint Committee on Urban Design, 1968-1969, undated
[Box 3, Folder 4] UNC-NCSU Joint Committee on Urban Design, 1970-1972
[Box 3, Folder 5] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, 1968, undated
[Box 3, Folder 6] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, January-July 1969
[Box 3, Folder 7] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, August-September 1969
[Box 3, Folder 8] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, October 1969
[Box 3, Folder 9] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, November-December 1969
[Box 3, Folder 10] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, January-June 1970
[Box 4, Folder 1] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, July-December 1970
[Box 4, Folder 2] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, January-April 1971
[Box 4, Folder 3] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, May-December 1971
[Box 4, Folder 4] Urban Design Program Correspondence and Memoranda, 1972
[Box 4, Folder 5] Urban Design Program Curriculum, 1969-1973
[Box 4, Folder 6] Urban Design Program Instructional Materials, 1968-1970
North Carolina State University. School of Architecture.
2.0 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff .
Transferred from School of Architecture.
Processed by: Karen Paar; machine-readable finding aid created by: Steve Mandeville-Gamble and Karen Paar
This subgroup contains correspondence, memoranda, and instructional materials generated by the School of Architecture, as well as records from the Urban Design Program.
The School of Architecture was an original component of North Carolina State University's College of Design, known at its founding in 1948 as the School of Architecture and Landscape Design. Before the Department of Architecture existed, North Carolina State College offered a Bachelor of Architectural Engineering degree through the School of Engineering, beginning in the 1920-1921 school year. In 1927, Architectural Engineering became a department within the School of Engineering. This department's name changed to the Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering in 1940, and it added a Bachelor of Architecture degree in the 1940-1941 school year. In 1946, the board of trustees of the Consolidated University of North Carolina approved a School of Architecture and Landscape Design for State College in response to the post-World War II building boom. In 1948, the search committee hired Henry L. Kamphoefner, a University of Oklahoma architecture professor, to head the new school. Kamphoefner brought several faculty members with him to North Carolina State College, including George Matsumoto, James Fitzgibbon, and Duncan Stuart.
Under Dean Kamphoefner, the Department of Architecture within the School of Design, as it soon came to be called, exerted broad influence on architectural design in North Carolina and the wider Southeast. Kamphoefner's push to adopt the "School of Design" name, because "Architecture is a function of design-not the other way around," reflects the broad influence he and others sought in the education of State College's architecture students. In the School of Design's early years, prominent designers and theorists, as well as architects such as Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Walter Gropius, Marcel Breuer, Charles Eames, and Louis Kahn lectured at the school. The Department of Architecture received accreditation in 1950. The students soon began to win major awards, including the Prix de Rome, Paris prizes, Guggenheim fellowships, and Fulbright scholarships, and the school quickly developed an international reputation for experimentation with architectural structures.
In the 1960s, as architectural education began to focus more on urban and community design, the Department of Architecture established the Urban Design Program as a joint academic program with the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This program, founded by Peter Batchelor in 1968, educated students in urban design by drawing on the resources of both universities and provided a means for the School of Design to contribute to projects in the wider community. The Department of Architecture discontinued its Master of Urban Design degree in 1984 but continued to offer courses in this area.
The academic degrees offered by the Department of Architecture have changed over time. The department offered a five-year bachelor's degree in Architecture originally, then added a Master of Architecture degree in 1969. The department phased out the bachelor's degree in 1972 and reestablished it in 1982. The Department of Architecture changed its name to the School of Architecture in 2000, when the School of Design became the College of Design.
UA 110.041 North Carolina State University School of Design Historic Architecture Research Project Records
MC 140 Ross Edward Shumaker Papers
MC 258 Edwin F. "Abie" Harris, Jr. Papers
Access to Collection
This collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of item], North Carolina State University, School of Architecture Records, UA 110.015, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
Access to Collection
The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Access to Collection
This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.