[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]
UA 105.012 Guide to the North Carolina State University, College of Engineering, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Records, 1889-1996
This subgroup is comprised of two series: General Records and Unprocessed Materials. The contents of the former are arranged alphabetically by topic. Those of the latter are arranged in the way they were received.
Try experimental container filtering.
Contained here are booklets, brochures, correspondence, flyers, lists of graduates, minutes of staff meetings, pamphlets, photographs, programs, proposals, promotional brochures, and reports relating to departmental activities and functions.
[Box 1, Folder 6] 1946 - 1949
Course and Curricula
[Box 1, Folder 7] 1946 - 1947
Electrical Engineering Advirsory
[Box 1, Folder 8] 1924
[Box 1, Folder 9] 1946 - 1947
Humanistic - Social Studies Sequence
[Box 1, Folder 10] 1945 - 1948
[Box 1, Folder 11] 1947
Courses and Curriculum
"See also Staff Meetings "
[Box 1, Folder 13] 1889 - 1980
National Science Foundation
Electrical Engineering Junior Circuits Laboratory
[Box 3, Folder 5] 1965 - 1967
[Half Box 8, Folder 1] Possible Electives for Seniors in Electrical Engineering, 1925
[Box 3, Folder 8] 1946 - 1947
[Box 3, Folder 9] 1948 - 1952
[Box 3, Folder 1] 1953 - 1958
[Box 4, Folder 2] 1959 - 1960
Unprocessed Materials, 1979 - 1996 (Series 99:)
3.75 Linear feet (2 cartons, 1.5 archival storage boxes)
These materials have not been archivally processed.
[Box 4] Course Packets for ECE department classes, 1991 - 1996
[Carton 5] Affirmative Action Files, 1979 - 1991 (Accession no. 3856)
[Carton 6] Course packs for ECE department classes, 1989 - 1996 (Accession no. 2006-0029)
[Box 7] Course packets, reports, brochures, and other materials, 1985-1991, undated (Accession no. 2007-0057)
Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Study and Research promotional packet; Power Semiconductor Research Center brochure and technical report; Robotics and Intelligent Systems Laboratory research activity reports; Graduate Study and Research Electrical and Computer Engineering (1985).
[Half Box 8] Possible electives for Seniors in Electrical Engineering, 1925 (Accession no. 2010-0204)
8.75 Linear feet
General Physical Description
5 boxes, 2 cartons, 1 half box
Transferred from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Processed by: Russell S. Koonts; machine-readable finding aid created by: Katherine M. Wisser; Finding aid updated by Cate Putirskis, 2010 November
2010 November, 2012 July, Finding aid updated to reflect additions to the collection by Cate Putirskis, 201 November, Updated by Beverly King, 2012 July
The records of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering cover the years 1889 to 1996. They contain booklets, brochures, correspondence, flyers, lists of graduates, minutes of staff meetings, pamphlets, photographs, programs, proposals, promotional brochures, and reports relating to the department. The records also include files pertaining to the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, the American Society for Engineering Education and the Engineer's Council for Professional Development (ECPD), the National Science Foundation and Sigma Xi. The ECPD records contain material relating to the accreditation of the department. Additional materials are unprocessed and include course packets and affirmative action files.
The first electrical engineering class at the college that became North Carolina State University was taught in 1893. Electrical Engineering became an independent department when it split off from Physics in 1917. The origins of the computer science program date to 1957. The department became Electrical and Computer Engineering in 1981.
Lieutenant Richard Henderson of the United States Navy, professor of Military Tactics and Physics, taught the first electrical course in 1893 at North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts, now North Carolina State University. In 1894, the chair of Physics and Electrical Engineering was established and filled by Lieutenant Henderson. A four-year course leading to a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree was first offered in 1900.
In 1908, Professor William Hand Browne, Jr. was appointed head of Physics and Electrical Engineering. When Physics and Electrical Engineering separated in 1917 and became independent departments, Professor Browne remained head of the Electrical Engineering Department. During Professor Browne's tenure, the Engineer's Council for Professional Development (ECPD) accredited the department in 1937. The engineering programs at North Carolina State University received a huge boost when all engineering programs taught at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University were consolidated in Raleigh on July 1, 1938. After Professor Browne stepped down as department head in 1944, Professor Raymond S. Fouraker served as acting head for one year.
Several significant events occurred during Dr. Cornelius Godfrey Brennecke's tenure as department head from 1945 to 1954: (1) the Engineer's Council for Professional Development (ECPD) renewed the department's accreditation in 1949; (2) Dr. Brennecke added several faculty members holding doctorates; (3) in 1953, Robert Lee Clemons, a black student and honor graduate, from North Carolina A & T College (later University), in Greensboro, was admitted as a graduate student in electrical engineering; and (4) the first engineering doctoral degree given by the university (in electrical engineering) in 1953 to Ralph Marshall McGehee.
From 1954 to 1979 department heads and acting department head were: Dr. George Burnham Hoadley, department head (1954-1974); Dr. Larry K. Monteith, department head (1974-1978); and Dr. James F. Kauffman, acting head (1978-1979).
The origins of computer science at NCSU can be said to extend back to the basement of Patterson Hall when, in 1957, the Department of Experimental Statistics installed computers there. Five years later, this facility formally became known as the NCSU Computing Center. The role of computers at the university received a tremendous boost in August 1965 when NCSU joined Duke and UNC and, with the help of a National Science Foundation grant, formed The Triangle Universities Computation Center or TUCC. In less than two years, the system became fully operational. With Professor Dave Mason, from the Department of Statistics, spearheading TUCC for NCSU, the university soon had one high-speed access terminal and several medium and low-speed terminals to interface with the mainframe.
During Dr. Nino A. Masnari's tenure as department head from 1979-1988, numerous events took place. In 1981, the departmental designation was changed to Electrical and Computer Engineering. Dr. John Hauser, Michael Littlejohn, and Nino Masnari started the Microelectronics Center of North Carolina (MCNC) in the early 1980s. The Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Computer Engineering were approved in 1983. Research programs made significant advances during this time when several research centers were founded. The Center for Communications and Signal Processing (CCSP) was founded in 1982, the Electric Power Research Center (EPRC) in 1985, and the Center for Advanced Electronic Materials Processing in 1988.
Additional information and resources on the history of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering can be found through the NCSU Historical State website .
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., North Carolina State University Student Branch Records (UA 021.467)
Access to Collection
This collection is open for research; access requires at least twenty-four hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of Item], North Carolina State University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Records, UA 105.012, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Access to Collection
North Carolina State University owns copyright to this collection. Individuals obtaining materials from the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections Research Center are responsible for using the works in conformance with United States copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.
Access to Collection
This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.