[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

UA 023.023 Guide to the University Archives Photograph Collection, Organization Photographs, 1897-1990

Negatives and contact sheets are located at the beginning of the subgroup. Photographic prints, including those housed in three scrapbooks, follow and are physically arranged according to the identification schema listed below.
    Portions of this collection have been digitized and made available online.
    The entire collection, including materials not available online, may be viewed in the Special Collections reading room in D.H. Hill Library.
    Try experimental container filtering.

    Experimental feature. Enter text in the search box to filter/search the container list. Please click here to tell us about your experience with this feature. Feedback

    Filter/search the container list:clear No Container Results (Check for highlighting of series/subseries below.)
    [Half Box 31, Folder 1]
    [Half Box 31, Folder 2]
    [Half Box 31, Folder 3]
    [Album 1]
    Includes some negatives.
    [Album 17]
    One photograph was originally part of the Memorabilia Collection (UA 020) as a gift of Reid Tull, Accession 1986.4.1. It was donated along with a Sigma Nu Fraternity ring that is still in the Memorabilia Collection.
    [Half Box 31, Folder 5]

    Creator

    North Carolina State University. University Archives.

    Quantity

    9.5 Linear feet

    General Physical Description note

    28 albums, 1 archival box, 2 archival half boxes, 3 archival flat boxes

    Location

    For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff external link.

    Language

    English

    Acquisitions Information

    This collection was created by the University Archives from a variety of sources.

    Processing

    Processed by: Special Collections Research Center; machine-readable finding aid created by: Kristen Lipetzky. Updated by Stephanie Barnwell, January 2012 and July 2012.

    Scope and Content Note

    This collection contains images of organizations that provided social, cultural, recreational, and professional opportunities for North Carolina State University student, faculty, and staff from 1897 until 1990. Student government elections, Greek events, intramural sports, Engineers' Fairs, student dances, and Y.M.C.A. events are all pictured in this collection. Other images include group portraits, candid shots, and photographs of large events. There are also a few scrapbooks. Most of the photographs are black and white prints, but there are some color prints and the series also contains related negatives, contact prints, contact sheets, and slides. Unless otherwise noted, photographs in each sub-series of this collection are generally arranged in chronological order.

    Historical Note

    In 1887 the North Carolina General Assembly created the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts as the state's land-grant institution to provide teaching, research and extension services to the people of the state. The College officially opened its doors in 1889, with Alexander Holladay as the first President. Classes began that fall with seventy-two students and six faculty. Two general fields of study were available, agriculture and mechanics, with a third in applied science added in 1893. Coursework in military science was added in 1894.

    By the turn of the century, the College had grown to 300 students and had begun to diversify its curricula with more specialization offered in agricultural and mechanical coursework. By 1917, the school's teaching, research, and extension activities were broad enough that the Board of Trustees agreed to a name change: North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering, thereby officially adopting the "State College" colloquialism that had been in use for years. In 1931 the College greatly reworked its curricula as it underwent consolidation. Along with North Carolina College for Women and the University of North Carolina, it became a part of the Consolidated University of North Carolina.

    During the second half of the century, the College received university status and as of 2007 was one of the constituent institutions of the multi-campus University of North Carolina system. After some controversy, the university assumed its current name in 1965. The University's full and official name is North Carolina State University at Raleigh. Use of the full name is generally avoided in order to avoid the implication that there are other branches of North Carolina State in other cities. In 2007, the North Carolina State University nearly 30,000 students and nearly two thousand faculty, and its research and program expenditures totaled over $440 million. For more information on the University's history, please see the online A Brief History of North Carolina State University external link.

    Student organizations have always had a role at North Carolina State University, where participation is seen as an important part of the university education. A branch of the Y.M.C.A. was established on campus in 1889, as were the Pullen and Leazar literary societies, and the Agricultural Society. Over the past 120 years of the university’s history, the number of organizations has grown as new interests have arisen on campus. As of 2008, there were 480 different campus organizations, including fraternities, sororities, professional societies, and student government.

    Alternate Form of Material

    Digital copies of many photographs are available online external link.

    Access to Collection

    This collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice.

    For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.

    Mail

    Special Collections Research Center
    Box 7111
    Raleigh, NC, 27695-7111

    Telephone

    (919) 515-2273

    Fax

    (919) 513-1787

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Organization Photographs, UA 023.023, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC

    Access to Collection

    The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.

    The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

    Access to Collection

    This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.

    [an error occurred while processing this directive]