[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]
MC 00258 Guide to the Edwin F. Harris Papers, 1958-1989
The collection is arranged chronologically. Original folder titles have been retained. The number in parenthesis following the title indicates number of drawings the folder contains as noted on original folders.
Try experimental container filtering.
[Box 1, Folder 1]
[Box 1, Folder 2]
[Box 1, Folder 3]
[Box 1, Folder 4]
[Box 1, Folder 5]
[Box 1, Folder 6]
[Box 1, Folder 7]
[Box 1, Folder 8]
[Box 1, Folder 9]
[Box 1, Folder 10]
[Box 1, Folder 11]
[Box 1, Folder 12]
[Box 1, Folder 13]
Harris, Edwin F., 1934-
0.5 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
1 archival box
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff .
Donated by Edwin F. Harris, Jr., 1999
Processed by: Kellie Strickland;machine-readable finding aid created by: Kellie Strickland
The collection contains approximately 400 drawings made by Harris for architectural projects and competitions unrelated to North Carolina State University from 1958 to 1989, as well as sparse correspondence and some submission information for competitions. The collection reflects Harris’s creativity with a number of different proposals including the Salubrium mental health clinic drawings, a design for Rainbow Plaza at Niagara Falls, work for a site located between the Nantahala River and Old Highway 64 north of Brasstown, North Carolina, a campus design for the Alabama School of Fine Arts, and his proposal for the North Carolina Vietnam Veterans Highway Memorial, among others.
Edwin F. Harris, nicknamed "Abie," was born January 7, 1934, in Elkin, North Carolina. He graduated from high school in 1952 and enrolled at the North Carolina State College, School of Design (later North Carolina State University, College of Design) to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in architecture. He graduated with honors in 1957. Harris was awarded a fellowship to travel to Paris in 1958, which he used in 1960 after a period of Army service. After returning from Paris, he worked for a Raleigh architecture firm and became a lecturer at the School of Design. In 1966, Harris joined the campus planning department and was quickly promoted to director of facilities planning. Although he was also an avid runner, Harris spent much of his spare time participating in design competitions and serving as a consultant on various projects. His honors include the grand prize in a planning competition for the University of Miami in 1986, election as American Institute of Architects Fellow in 1987, and the 9th Annual Frank B. Turner Award in 1991.
Access to Collection
This collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of item], Edwin F. Harris Papers, MC 00258, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
Access to Collection
The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.