The Special Collections Public Services Desk will be closed on Tuesday, December 24; Wednesday, December 25; and Wednesday, January 1, for the holidays. Appointments are strongly recommended for December 26, 27, 28, 30, and 31. Because materials are stored off-site, please request items by December 19 to ensure delivery of your requested materials during the holidays. For further assistance, or to request an appointment during holiday hours, please contact Eli Brown, Head of Special Collections
MC 00114 Guide to the Harris and Pyne Records, 1914-1994
This collection is organized into three series:
Try experimental container filtering.
This series contains sketches, blueprints, and other drawings, including site, floor, and design plans. Buildings represented include residences, churches, a health center, an office builiding, and an airport terminal. Most were created by the Harris and Pyne firm, although a few are by H. Raymond Weeks.
[Tube 1] Anderson (Mr. & Mrs. J. B.) residence (1 of 2), 1969-1980
[Flat Folder 1] Anderson (Mr. & Mrs. J. B.) residence (2 of 2), 1968-1969 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Flat Folder 2] Anderson (Mr. & Mrs. J. B.) residence blueprints, 1969
[Flat Folder 3] Anderson (Mr. & Mrs. J. B.) residence: Croasdaile Subdivision, 1979-1980 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Flat Folder 4] Anderson (Mr. & Mrs. J. B.) residence: Croasdaile Subdivision blueprints, 1964-1979
[Tube 3] Butner Presbyterian Church, 1958
[Tube 4] Community Methodist Church (1 of 2), 1967
[Tube 5] Community Methodist Church (2 of 2), 1967
[Flat Folder 7] Geer Building, Woolworth's, Fidelity Bank, Wachovia Bank and Trust, 1914-1970
[Tube 2] Lincoln Community Health Center, 1981-1994
[Flat Folder 6] Raleigh-Durham Airport: Administration Building, 1954 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Tube 5] Rand Drive residence (1 of 2), 1948
[Tube 6] Rand Drive residence (2 of 2), 1948
[Flat Folder 5] St. Philip's Episcopal Church (Accession 2012.0027)
[Tube 1] Wade (Mr. & Mrs. Wallace) residence, 1952
H. Raymond Weeks, Inc.
This series contains materials relating to the projects undertaken by the Harris and Pyne firm and predecessor firms H. Raymond Weeks, Inc., Atwood and Weeks, and Atwood and Nash. This series includes two scrapbooks, newsclippings, a financial recordbook, and supplemental documents related to projects. The scrapbooks consist mostly of newsclippings and several photos.
[Box 1, Folder 9] Clippings, 1965
[Box 1, Folder 10] Correspondence, 1972
[Box 1, Folder 6] The Dedication of the Library Building University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1930
[Box 1, Folder 1] Lincoln Community Health Center manuel
[Box 1, Folder 11] Rand Drive Residence, Community Methodist Church supplemental material
[Box 1, Folder 8] Recordbook, 1960
[Box 1, Folder 5] Scrapbook, clippings, 1928-1957
[Box 1, Folder 4] Scrapbook, clippings: Atwood, 1921-1927
This series contains black and white photographs of projects undertaken by Harris and Pyne firm and/or predecessor firms H. Raymond Weeks, Inc., Atwood and Weeks, and Atwood and Nash. It appears that photographs are of completed projects including the Harry Russell residence in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, the H. R. Weeks residence, the J.B. Anderson home, a women’s dormitory at the North Carolina College in Durham, North Carolina, the First Presbyterian Church in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and the Farm Colony Building State Hospital in Goldsboro, North Carolina. One photograph is of the renovation of an unidentified hospital. Photographs were taken professionally, several labeled with the name Wooten-Moulton Photographers. Photographs are undated with the exception of the Harry Russell residence set, dated 1942.
[Box 1, Folder 13] Baldwin's Department Store, 1940s (Accession 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 2] Chapel Hill High School, circa 1935 (Accession 2012.0027)
Chapel Hill (N.C.)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 2] Duke United Methodist Church Educational Building, circa 1960 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 3] Edenton Street Methodist Episcopal Church: Pointdexter Memorial, circa 1935 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 3] Memorial Auditorium, circa 1935 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Box 1, Folder 2] Projects (1 of 2)
[Box 1, Folder 3] Projects (2 of 2)
[Box 1, Folder 7] Russell (Harry) residence, 1942
Chapel Hill (N.C.)
[Box 1, Folder 12] St. Luke's Episcopal Church, circa 1970 (Accessions 2008.0196 and 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 1] St. Francis Church, circa 1960 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 4] U. S. Post Office, circa 1935 (Accession 2012.0027)
[Oversize Flat Box 2, Folder 4] Valinda Watts Hospital, circa 1935 (Accession 2012.0027)
Atwood & Weeks.
Harris and Pyne.
3.93 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
6 tubes, 7 flat folders, 1 document case, 1 oversize flat box
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff.
Gift of Milo Pyne, 2008 (Accession 2008.0196), and 2012 (Accession 2012.0027)
Processed by Jay Chang, May 2011; machine-readable finding aid created by Jay Chang, May 2011.
2012 January, Additional materials processed and finding aid updated by Todd Kosmerick, 2012 January.
The Harris and Pyne Records contain drawings, project files, and photographs documenting the professional activities of the Harris and Pyne architectural and engineering firm and its predecessor firms H. Raymond Weeks, Inc., Atwood and Weeks, and Atwood and Nash. The collection is arranged into three series: Drawings, Project Files and Photographic Materials. Drawings include original pencil drawings, blueprints, and other reproductions. Project files includes various materials relating to projects, including a scrapbook, newsclippings, a financial recordbook, and supplemental documents to projects. Photographic materials includes professional black and white photographs of projects. Original documentation for many of the buildings and projects of these architecture firms is no longer in existence.
Harris and Pyne was an architectural and engineering firm in Durham, North Carolina, from 1960 to the 1990s, headed by engineer Wilton E. Harris and architect George C. Pyne, Jr. Its predecessor firms were T. C. Atwood (prior to 1920), Atwood & Nash, Architects and Engineers (early 1920s-early 1930s), Atwood & Weeks (1930s-1942), and H. Raymond Weeks, Inc. (1942-1960). Commissions undertaken by the Harris and Pyne firm and predecessors include residences, churches, and hospitals.
Access to Collection
Collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of item], Harris and Pyne Records, MC 00114, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
Access to Collection
The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
This collection was processed with support from the Council on Library and Information Resources Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives program.